MOTHERS 35 PLUS - forums for older mothers and would-be older mothers

Go Back   MOTHERS 35 PLUS - forums for older mothers and would-be older mothers > General Health > Adult health-related topics

Adult health-related topics This board is for topics not covered anywhere else

Old 01-11-2007, 04:03 PM
No longer a member

ann is on a distinguished road
Info how to self check for breast cancer

i have posted this on a reply to a thread in the secret garden but i know some don't go in there and i do think its very important that people do check and maybe those who don't have no idea how to so i hope you don't mind me posting it here as well so everyone can see it

I don't want to sound patronising or anything i just think its something that is very important and all women should do it

When should you start to check, the answer is Every month beginning at about age 20. At this early age, any small lumps are probably just normal breast glands and ducts. Over time you will get used to how your breasts normally feel so that you're able to tell if a new lump appears.

Check your breasts a few days after your period when your breasts aren't so sore. If you don't have periods or if they come at varying times, check your breasts at the same time every month.

Start by standing in front of a mirror. Look at your breasts with your arms at your side, with your arms raised behind your head, and with your arms on your hips and your chest muscles flexed.

Next, lie down with a pillow under your left shoulder. Put your left hand behind your head and feel your left breast with the pads of the 3 middle fingers on your right hand. Start at the outer edge and work around your breast in circles, getting closer to your nipple with each circle. After you've finished checking your breast, squeeze your nipple gently and look for discharge (fluid coming out of the nipple).

Do the same thing to your right breast with a pillow under your right shoulder.

Be sure to include the area up to your collarbone and out to your armpit. You have lymph nodes in this area. Cancer can spread to lymph node tissue.

Changes to look for in your breasts
  • Any new lump (which may or may not be painful or tender)
  • Unusual thickening of your breasts
  • Sticky or bloody discharge from your nipples
  • Any changes in the skin of your nipples or breasts, such as puckering or dimpling
  • An unusual increase in the size of one breast
  • One breast unusually lower than the other
here is some more info and a link to a site explaining about it so if you cant understand one another might help

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bre...f-exam/WO00026

What is Breast self exam (BSE)?

Breast self exam is simple. It includes looking at your breasts in the mirror and noticing any changes in color, or texture of the skin. Breast self exam involves gently pressing on your breasts. Some women feel uncomfortable touching their own breasts. If you ask your neighbor if she checks out her breasts she’ll blush and probably giggle. Yet, this is a very simple and powerful tool. BSE is easily incorporated with a shower or in the evening before bedtime. It takes less than ten minutes and the more you do it the more you will "know" your breasts. This is very important if in the future something does change you will notice it right away and see your doctor.
How do you do it?
Monthly breast self exam should be performed every month on the same day of the month. The best time is the a week after your period. Your breasts will not be sore and easier to check. If you are not having a monthly period than pick a date you can easily remember and make that date the day for checking. You can do this in the shower or lying on your bed. It is important to do a complete check including the arm pits and area between your breasts.

Breast exam is not limited to just the breasts. The exam includes the nipples and areolas ( the brown part around the nipple). Its important to notice any color changes in nipples and areolas, any discharge from the nipples, or any other irregularities. Look for a lump, hard knot, or skin that thickens or dimples. Nipples should be gently pinched to see any discharge including blood. Any discharge should be reported top your doctor. Go for regular breast exams and Pap tests. Ask about a mammogram.

Check your breasts using these steps:
  1. Lying down:
    Place a pillow under your right shoulder. Put your right hand under your head. Check your entire breast area with the finger pads of your left hand. Use small circles and follow an up-and-down pattern. Use light, medium, and firm pressure over each area of your breast. Gently squeeze the nipple for any discharge. Repeat these steps on your left breast.
  2. Before a mirror:
    With your hands at your sides, look at your breasts for changes in the size, shape and contour of each breast. Check for puckering, dimpling or changes in skin texture. By gently squeezing both nipples, look for discharge. Repeat the exam with your hands on your hips, then above your head.
  3. In the shower:
    Put your right hand under your head. The wetness of the shower will make it easier for you to feel lumps. Check your entire breast area with the finger pads of your left hand. Use small circles and follow an up-and-down pattern. Use light, medium, and firm pressure over each area of your breast. Gently squeeze the nipple for any discharge. Repeat these steps on your left breast.
What is YOUR risk for breast cancer?
A number of factors seem to increase to likelihood of contracting breast cancer. Take our exclusive quiz from Mayo & Mayo, add up the score and find out what YOUR risk is along with useful information from Jane E. Brody showing how your risk of breast cancer changes during your life. Even more importantly, what can YOU do to improve your chances!
Breast Cancer Statistics
& what they REALLY mean

What does the 1 in 9 statistic for getting breast cancer really mean for me? This statistic is always seen when anyone talks about breast cancer risk. A woman's risk for developing breast cancer depends on many factors.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Judy is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Ann,

Excellent post!

I am one of the some months I do some months I don't kinda checker!

Will endevour to be more vigilant from now on!

Thanks hun'.

Judyxxx
Partner hypothyroid/Me Hyperthyroid!!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:41 PM

JayJay is on a distinguished road

Ann

Excellent post and please ladies do check. I do every month as I have lost every female member bar 2 of my mum's family to C.

Jay
Old 23-11-2007, 03:47 PM
No longer a member

ann is on a distinguished road

a reminder to check ladies, i think i will bump this up every month
Old 23-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Deee is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ann

You did me a really big favour posting this on the other thread a few weeks ago as it reminded me that I hadn't really had a good check since Z arrived (9 months ago).

So I checked and found a lump, well more of a thickened area.

Went straight to the Doctors and she could also feel it so referred me to the Marsden Rapid Diagnostic Unit in Sutton (near where I live)

I had my assessment there on Monday (19th). I have to go back to have a mammogram when I get my period next week, but am glad to say that they did do an ultrasound which didn't show anything abnormal. The ultrasound lady said she could feel the lumpy area under the scanner but it didn't show anything there that shouldn't be there. The consultant has told me not to worry as that scan was normal, but they would still like to do the mammogram.

So I am certainly a lot less terrified than I have been the last 3 weeks, but will be happier once I get the mammogram done.

Once again BIG THANK YOU ANN

Love
D
X

I am 50 (how did that happen !!) happy Mum to a gorgeous 5 year old x
Old 24-11-2007, 12:14 PM

debjk is on a distinguished road

bet that was a fright for you Dee but thank god it it seems innocent

Thanks Ann

My Ebay http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZdebjk69