MOTHERS 35 PLUS - forums for older mothers and would-be older mothers

Go Back   MOTHERS 35 PLUS - forums for older mothers and would-be older mothers > Pregnancy / Testing in Pregnancy > Birth Stories/New Arrivals

Birth Stories/New Arrivals Post your birth and 'new arrival' stories here...

Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 PM

pink3times is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Henry's birth story do you want to know?

Well here goes, hope not to scare any one with this.
Mild contractions started at 9pm on Sat evening, had been out shopping with my mum during the day including ASDA ,John Lewis etc.
By 11.30 they were more established so rang CDS told to come in but I would be sent home if not in established labour. Got there at 00.05am CTG started, within 20 minutes it was apparent Henry was in distress heart rate dipping to 85bpm with every contraction. Dr called cocerned about trace, decided to break my waters as I was 4cm dilated only and put a scalp moniter on Henry's head. Broke my waters unable to reach Henry's head. The increased contractions made Henry severely distressed and interuterine resus had to begin while a second theatre team could be called in to perform the section. I was given a s/c drug to stop my contractions, i.v. fluids rapidly, i.v. antibiotics and prepped for theatre.Once my contractions stopped Henry's heart responded well and he was safe. I had some gas and air and remained chatty, the staff were totally fantastic, calm supportive, reassuring and in control.
As soon as the team arrived I want to theatre and had the spinal block it was amazing, I knew the anaesthetsit and he talked me through it while Steve paced the corridor. The sensation of them pulling him out was weird, imagine when I heard him cry oh the joy. I couldn't believe I had a boy it was such an amazing surprise.Basically the cord was around his neck really tightly and each contraction was compressing the cord, it was described as a skipping rope. Henry had good apgars 9 at 1min, 10 at 5 and 10 minutes. He went to SCBU to get sorted out and start the group b strep treatment with Steve while they spent over an hour stitching me up, lost a litre of blood HB now 9.4 so not too bad.
In recovery at 4am and reunited with Henry soon after, transferred to the ward at 10am. Henry was a very good boy no blips from him, I bled a lot and had 3 huge evil pressure dressings which I was allergic to.
Henry had 48hrs of iv.s but yesterdays bloods were normal and he never grew anything on his blood cultures. I'm fine totally up and about just seen the midwife who told me to rest LOL, I am rubbish at being still, I want to go out. Had a great night only got up to Henry at 1am then 6.20am so very pleased, I am being lulled into a false sense of security by my big bubba who weighed a tiny 10lb 4oz today.
Becxxxx

May get a chance to post pics soon but I need the main computer to do this.

Last edited by pink3times; 11-02-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM

Liz1967 is on a distinguished road

Ooh Bec,

What is it with the M35+ babies having scary entrances!!

So glad all turned out well in the end, I found I wasn't scared at the time but it was afterwards when it hits you what could have gone wrong.

So glad to hear you are home safe and sound, and do try and rest Mrs, thats major surgery you have had, not to mention losing quite a bit of blood.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Did I read correctly and Steve was with you?!

Thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations again.

Love
Liz
xx
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Clareok is on a distinguished road

You don't do things by halves, do you Bec?!!!! Sounds so terrifying but the team you had looking after you sound fabulous.

Sorry that you had a tough time with the bloodloss and the allergic reaction (well, and the c-section as well!!!!) but how wonderful to have your darling boy to love

Clare
x
PS Now when will you give Henry a brother *****running away before Bec bashes meLOL *****
Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM

SharonR is on a distinguished road

Oooh Bec,

What a dramatic entrance to the world Henry James has had!

Glad you are both home safe and well now, that is the important thing.

Look after yourself, and, to be honest, I also found that getting out and walking helped me heal much quicker.

Also looking forward to see some pictures of your little blue bundle.

Love, Sharon.

ps: are you going to change your username now to PINK3BLUE1 ?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Pearlyjig is on a distinguished road

Blimey, that sounds like a toughie!!! You've done so well to recover so quickly, but try not to do too much. Even though your bloodwork is fine, you'll still need to build up your reserves again. Henry sounds like he's doing great too, the wee star.

Love,

Fiona x
Old 11-02-2009, 01:02 PM

Bunyip is on a distinguished road

Yikes, I feel dizzy just reading that!

I'm thrilled both of you are doing so well. Given his dramatic entrance, APGAR of 9 after only a minute is fantastic. I can't wait to see a pic of you both together (hint).

Lots of love and hugs to your blue bundle.

Janice
xx
Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM

bernie6 is on a distinguished road

wow quite a birth!!! i would have been a wreck

Glad your both well and back home

lots of love bernie

Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 PM

juliav is on a distinguished road

Oh, Bec! How frightening! I am so glad little Henry arrived safely and you are also well-relatively! How wonderful it must feel for you to be holding your little boy right now. I bet everyone is so excited to hold the newest member of the family. Can't wait to see photos!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:31 PM

raccioc is on a distinguished road

That is scary Bec - but at least there was a happy ending and you have your beautiful little boy with you!

I have heard worse.

Rachel

Old 11-02-2009, 05:11 PM

Dandy is on a distinguished road

So glad you are both well, have place a reply in SG for you.

love,

[/